Updated: Jan. 19, 2022
The following applies to all Virginia Tech students: graduate and undergraduate.
- Outlined in Presidential Policy Memorandum 320, COVID-19 protocols remain in place for students. COVID-19 vaccinations are required for all students who do not receive an exemption. The university is also requiring that students upload verification of a COVID-19 booster shot within 14 days of eligibility.
- Students that have tested positive and have reported their COVID-19 case to the university will be granted a temporary waiver from Schiffert Health Center for the booster requirement. The waiver is valid for 104 days after a positive test.
- The Virginia Department of Health recommends waiting 60-90 days after testing positive to receive the booster, and Virginia Tech provides an additional 14-day courtesy to receive the vaccine. Once this 104-day timeframe has passed, the waiver will expire, and students will be required to upload record of their booster.
- For questions, contact Schiffert Health Center’s Health Information Management Department at 540-231-6444.
- If you are eligible now, updated immunization information is due by Feb. 1. If you are not eligible yet, please schedule your booster as soon as you are able to do so. Students need to upload their updated vaccination record as soon as they receive a booster dose. Procedures remain in place for students to request medical and religious exemptions. Existing exemptions will be honored.
- New students who will begin taking classes in January 2022 were required to submit their immunization documentation, including a COVID-19 vaccine, to VT Notify by Jan. 3.
For more information, visit the Vaccination Reporting Portal page on the Student Affairs site.
For international students
Newly arriving international students who were unable to receive their required immunizations by Jan. 3 needed to complete this form. As indicated on the form, international students were required to receive any missing immunizations within one week of arrival.
Additionally, booster shots are required within 14 days of eligibility for all students. If you are eligible now, updated immunization documentation is due by Feb. 1.
Procedures remain in place for students to request medical and religious exemptions. Existing exemptions will be honored.
Per Presidential Policy Memorandum 321, Virginia Tech employees are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated and get a booster dose as soon as they are eligible and to report their vaccination status to the university. However, Virginia Tech employees are not required to be vaccinated, report their vaccination status to the university, or participate in mandatory testing.
Hokie Wellness and Virginia Tech Emergency Management are partnering with Kroger to offer two booster clinics at the Blacksburg campus in January. The clinics will be held at the Rec Sports Fieldhouse, located at 510 Beamer Way, on the following dates:
- Tuesday, Jan. 25, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
No registration is required; boosters will be offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note, pediatric doses will not be available at this clinic.
How to get a vaccine
- Employees or students in the New River Valley: Visit the New River Health District’s website for upcoming vaccination clinics.
- Employees or students in other parts of Virginia: Visit your local health district office’s website.
- You may also use https://vaccines.gov to book a vaccination or booster appointment with a national pharmacy.