In the spring semester, Virginia Tech will continue its research in a manner that recognizes the importance of safety, transitions back to an in-person student-learning experience, and continues to ramp up research programs.
- We are operating under the university’s modified operations status.
- Most labs can/will be opened. Undergraduate and graduate students working on sponsored research or course credit may return to established or new research projects.
- Student volunteer research activity in labs is not advised, due to lab space and physical distancing guidelines.
- Colleges and institutes may add additional requirements in their areas.
- Allowable research activities require the approval of deans, vice presidents, or institute directors or their designee(s).
- The COVID-19 Research and Continuity Guidance microsite contains various resources for researchers, including Phase Three: Reopening Guidance.
Research PPE and Hygiene
- Individuals must use appropriate PPE and continue strict adherence to safety/hygiene and physical distancing requirements.
- For guidance on scaling laboratory operations, the use of face coverings in research and laboratory settings, and more, see Environmental Health & Safety COVID-19 FAQs.